Hedgerows help to define the uniqueness of the British countryside and are essential for wildlife habitation. In order to preserve them for future generations we need to encourage more people to learn and develop this profession.
At Flintham Show we have two classes where hedge layers of all abilities come and demonstrate their skills and professionalism. Year on year entries for these classes increase, so come along and see first hand these craftsmen as they work to create a hedge for the future.
For more details of the two classes, competition rules and entry form please see below.
Open to any competitor who has previously won a first prize in any hedging competition – to the man who shall cut and lay 11 yards of hedge in the best manner in five hours.
Open to all except competitors who have previously won a first prize in any hedging competition – to the man who shall cut and lay 11 yards of hedge in the best manner in five hours.
1st Prize £20 2nd Prize £15 3rd Prize £10
S29 – PAUL PALMER TROPHY, for the winner of Class 27.
Note: COMPETITORS’ ATTENTION IS DRAWN TO THE HEALTH & SAFETY EXECUTIVE REGULATIONS ON CHAINSAW SAFETY
The rules for the hedging competition are as follows:
1. Competitors to cut and lay 11 yards (10.06 metres) of hedge making a start and a finish and sharpen their own stakes in the best manner.
2. 22 Stakes for each competitor.
3. The first two layers to be laid one on either side for the other competitor to finish.
4. All the brush to be put away as per Steward’s instructions.
5. Competitors to be at field at 8.30 am and start plashing at 9.00 am.
6. Assistance only at the Steward’s discretion.
7. No dead wood to be left in the hedge.
8. In accordance with the Health & Safety Executive regulations, Flintham & District Agricultural Society insist that competitors must use safety equipment when using chainsaws. Any competitor who fails to comply with this regulation will be immediately disqualified.
For further information on any of the above, please contact Jill Gratton-Fisher, General Secretary. Mobile: 07773 011468 Email: email@example.com